You can deactivate Gmail account if you don’t want to use it. Sometimes, you use multiple accounts and you don’t want to use any mail address so you deactivate your account. Sometimes, you take a break from your mail work so you deactivate it for a period. Deactivating process is also called deleting process.
Steps to deactivate Gmail account
This feature is only available on desktop not the mobile. Gmail app doesn’t provide this feature. You can deactivate Gmail account easily on the desktop with these steps:
- Open google account page: Open Google account website ‘myaccount.google.com’ on your preferred browser.
- Click on ‘delete your account or services’: Click on the ‘delete your account or services’ option in ‘account preference’ section.
- Scroll down and click ‘sign in’: Scroll down and the sign in with the last option ‘delete your accounts or services’.
- Sign in to your account: Enter your mail ID and the password to sign in with your Gmail account.
- Click ‘delete products’: Click on the ‘delete products’ option at the top right corner.
- Verify the mail ID: Enter your password to verify your mail ID. Recheck again that it’s the similar ID, you want to delete. Click ‘next’ to complete the verification.
- Click on the trash icon: Now click on the trash icon in the right to the Gmail heading.
- Type non-Gmail or alternative Gmail address: Now enter a new Email address like yahoo, outlook or iCloud. You can use alternative mail address.
- Click on the ‘send verification mail’: Click on the option of ‘send verification mail’ in the right corner at bottom.
- Open your Email address: Open your email address, you put in for the verification.
- Open the mail from Google: Check the mail, google have sent you.
- Click on the link: You will get the link in the middle of the mail. Click on the link to verify.
- Click ‘delete Gmail’: Check the yes box and click on ‘delete Gmail’ option at bottom.
- Click on ‘done’: Now click on ‘done’ to complete the process. Your Gmail account has been deleted or deactivated. If you recover the account, then it’s just a deactivation or it will be permanently deleted after 2-3 weeks.
You can recover your account again when you open your mail again. Do it within 2-3 weeks if you were just deactivating the account. If you don’t do this, account will be deleted permanently.
Deactivating process is deleting process but it’s the difference of temporary and permanent delete.