Having multiple copies of the data is the safest practice for any digital device, it means backing up the data. WhatsApp has this good feature of backing up the chat data.
You can take backup on the local drive (Phone) or Google Drive (Cloud storage). Every seven days once, WhatsApp automatically backs up, and as a result, your backup occupies more and more space.
This happens particularly if you have included videos to back up. These backup files exist even after deleting the account and uninstalling WhatsApp . In this article, we teach you to delete backup files.
How to Delete WhatsApp Backup on Mobile Phone
1. Open Google Drive app: Tap on Backup option. If you don’t find this option, you need to update the app.
2. Go to dot menu: You will be shown WhatsApp option,now tap on the three dots in the right side.
3. Delete Backup: Do it by by tapping on the delete option. you can also select to turn off backup option.
How to Delete WhatsApp Local Backup in Mobile
In mobile in folder WhatsApp backup files can be found. To delete it you need explorer app. If you don’t have that as the default app, download ES explorer app from here. Follow the steps below to delete the local backup.
1. Launch Explorer: Do it by tapping on the explorer icon in the menu.
2. Navigate Goto the folder \storage\Whatsapp\.
3. Delete backup: Now in the folders shown, tap and hold on the database folder and tap on deleting.
How to Delete WhatsApp Backup on Computer
WhatsApp has this wonderful feature of backing up to the cloud storage Google Drive. This ensures, even if the phone is broken into pieces, your chat history will be safe with the drive.
But the memory allotted to you is only 15 GB for a Google account, WhatsApp may occupy this data and it makes a mess. If you want to delete that backup in Google Drive, follow the steps below.
1. Go to the Website: Open any browser on your computer and type drive.google.com and press enter key (Manage apps).
2. Login: Use your username password to login to the Google account by typing your ID & Password.
3. Settings: Click on the gear-shaped icon and click settings.
4. Manage Apps: In the left column click on the manage apps option.
5. Delete Data: Now scroll down to find WhatsApp messenger, and click on the options. In the options shown, click on Delete hidden app data. That’s it, you have deleted the WhatsApp backup in Google Drive.
How can I recover a conversation accidentally deleted
If you have accidentally deleted a conversation, you can restore WhatsApp backup to do it. First, navigate yourself to the database by following the above mentioned two steps. After opening the WhatsApp folder, open Databases folder. In that folder, file names with ‘msgstore-YEAR-MONTH-DATE.db.crypt12’ will be there. Now rename the file name of ‘msgstore.db.crypt12’ to some other name.
Then modify a file with older date, i.e. date before the message deletion, as msgstore.db.crypt12. After that you install and uninstall Whatsapp, there will be your deleted message.
In conclusion, having too much data on your smartphone will reduce the performance. Deleting backups periodically, avoid messing up your phone. Before deleting the backup, you can also move the files to a computer or another storage medium, as that can be helpful in some situations.