There are many identification cards available for the Indian citizens like Voter ID, PAN card, Ration card etc. But now, every proof is based on the Aadhaar card in Chennai issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
It has become a mandatory proof needed for the schemes announced by the government and you can use the card an address proof and Identity proof conveniently.
Government is promoting the use of Aadhaar card for the verification and other purposes.
Procedure to Get Aadhaar Card in Chennai
1. Visit the nearest enrolment center with a proof of identity and proof of address. You can see the nearest enrolment center from in your residential area.
You can select one of the proofs of identity and proof of address. If any proof of identity or address is not available, proof of relationship with husband or father can be produced. Proof of Identity:
- Ration card
- PAN card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government approved photo ID card
Proof of address:
- Bank passbook
- Post office account statement
- Ration card
- Driving License
2. Get the application form for free in the enrolment center. You can also, download the form using this link. An online appointment can be fixed for select places, wherein banks and post offices that have enrolment facility.
3. Fill in the form with necessary details and put your signature in the box below. You can save a lot of time if you fill up the form in your home and come to the enrolment centers with the filled up application.
During the enrollment, your photo will be taken with a camera linked to the computer. Along with that your fingerprint scan and iris scan will be taken. You have to double or triple check the details, to avoid any error in printing the card.
4. After the verification, your form will be processed and your new Aadhaar card will be sent to your home by post.
5. You will be given a receipt, which you can use for tracking status of the application through internet.
After successful enrolment, you will receive SMS regarding the details of the enrolment You can check the status of your application through online using the (https://resident.uidai.gov.in/check-aadhaar-status) by entering the enrolment id and date and time of registration.
Importance of Aadhaar card
eKYC: This Aadhaar card system enables you to apply for any schemes though KYC (Know Your Customer), in which biometric scans are enough to fetch the details of the applicant from the Aadhaar database.
Effects on Telecom operators: Nowadays, every mobile service providers are requesting the customer to link Aadhaar with the phone numbers. To buy a sim card you just have to tell the Aadhaar number and give biometric verification, your sim will be activated instantly whereas in the older days copy of the ID proof must be submitted and it would take around a day to get your sim card activated.
Bank account linking: Now, banks ask the customer to link their Aadhaar card. Like PAN card which is used for the monitoring the transactions happening in different bank accounts a person has.
PAN card Linking: If you want to retain the same PAN card, you have to link it with the Aadhaar card otherwise your PAN card will become invalid.
LPG cylinder: After the introduction of Aadhaar card, buying a new LPG cylinder has become a much easier progress. Chennai is a hot and busy city in the southern part of India. It is known for its high humidity that makes you sweaty and the overcrowded public transport vehicles in the peak hours.
So be clear with the procedure as discussed below, to avoid roaming around the government offices again and again.
For newborn babies, you can only enroll them after 5 years of age. Let's see the procedure of getting Aadhaar card.
How Can I Update Aadhaar Details Card in Chennai?
- Download the form mentioned above which is applicable for both for new enrolment and correction.
- Fill in the details and mention the correction in the form fields and submit it to your nearest enrolment centers.
- Scanning of iris and fingerprint are also done to check the matching data.
- Get the receipt form the enrolment officer.
- You can check the status of your application in this link (https://resident.uidai.gov.in/check-aadhaar-status).
- You can also download Aadhaar card online using the enrolment id and the time of application, and print the soft copy of the Aadhaar card downloaded.
It is the best time to apply for Aadhaar card if you have not enrolled already, as many schemes of the government are based on the Aadhaar card. Now get your Aadhaar card in Chennai, with ease by following the steps explained.
Usually, the enrolment center is used for new enrolment of 5 years children, as most of the people above the age of 5 have enrolled for the card. Other than that most people will come for updating the Aadhaar card.